Welcome, guest!
Create an account for a personalized experience,
or log on if you have one.

Are you a teacher?

poll Are you at teacher?
Yes
No but I'm planning on being one
No but I used to be one
No I'm one of those that can, not one of those that teach.
  22 Votes - 35 Posts
Results
   Discussion: Are you a teacher?
Gordondon son of Ethelred · 17 years ago
The responses to the "who's the coolest" forum lead me to believe that we have an awful lot of teachers here. So that's what I want to know, how many of us are now, or are planning to be teachers?
What do you teach or plan to teach?
Mamalissa! · 17 years ago
I've been teaching Hebrew School. In September, if all goes as planned, I will be a Jewish Family Life Educator.
Gordondon son of Ethelred Back · 17 years ago
As it is "Jewish Family Life" do they train you to answer every question with a question?
Mamalissa! Back · 17 years ago
What, I should give them the answer?
Bender · 17 years ago
I'm an improv instructor, a vocal coach and I privately tutor folks who want to get their GEDs at an advanced age (mostly writing -- anyone who knows me knows that I am nowhere near qualified to help with the math). When I worked for the Apple Store, I was often called upon to teach ProCare sessions. I also help teach the Kemetic Orthodox beginners and I've been told that I sometimes explain theological, philosophical and ritual concepts better than the Imakhiu. I hope to become an Imakhu someday, so that makes me feel all fuzzy inside.

Pretty good for an academic failure, hey?
Just to make you happy.
[fill in your own flame here]

I hope I wasn't too rough on you.
Bender Back · 17 years ago
[Godwin-invoking counterattack]
J. Andrew World Back · 17 years ago
"I teach people to be spontanious."  No for real?
Improvising well is a learned skill.  You need to know all the rules and you need to know when to break them.
I always thought there were only certain people who can do improve.  That it's an inate ablity and workshops just hone the skills. 

But then again, who am I kidding, I am going to school for art education.  (That's right, this fall, baby!)
Hardly!  Anyone can learn to improvise.
I can but only if I had a script and some direction.
trunger is counting... · 17 years ago
I'm a TA for special ed, which basically means i teach without the pay and without the caseloads...
Teachers get paid? I knew something was wrong with my job.
Starfox · 17 years ago
I know the question was referring to more academic oriented teaching. But I am also a teacher in martial arts. And I help instruct women in self-defense classes and seminars. So, that's kind of a teaching role, just not a permanent, sometimes-poorly-paid (which is a real travesty in my opinion), teacher of academia.
Actually non-academic teaching is all part of it.

I once had a student threaten me and warn me that he was a brown belt in karate. Did you ever have a student threaten you by telling you that he had a masters degree in Math?
Starfox Back · 17 years ago
*shakes head*  That is a major pet peeve of mine with people who use their martial arts training as a threat.  So completely against the point.  And usually, the people who do that, aren't very good at whatever they profess to be practicing.

I did have one student brag once about having a PhD, but not to threaten me with it.
Did I mention that he grabbed me by the throat as he was making the threat?

Part of me so wanted to say, "Brown belt? you couldn't make it to black?"
Ooh, us Kenpoists (American Kenpo is what I practice and instruct) love it when people grab us. Makes it much easier to do what we like to call "limb destruction".

Sounds like he had serious impulse control problems.  So you gotta tell me, how did this little bit of drama resolve itself?
Another prof came into the room and broke it up. I had to promise to not hold it against him when I graded. He wasn't punished at all. I suggested flogging. Needless to say I was not happy about the way it was handled.
Ouch...yeah, that's one of those situations that you really hope the whole Karma thing is true.
Yeah, but Karma implies retribution in a future incarnation.  Karma takes waaaay too long.

Let's get a little ma'at on his ass.
danced with Lazlo · 17 years ago
I am a bat mitzvah tutor, and I intend to be the educator sort of rabbi rather than the "Jewish minister" (so to speak) sort of rabbi.

And I was the assistant in the Children's synagogue choir... I didn't really think of this as a teaching position until Laurie had to leave the room and asked me to teach the kids a melody while she was taking care of something, and one of the kids asks me "Are you a teacher too?" And I'm like "... um... yes. Yes... I am. I am a teacher."
Doesn't Rabbi literally mean "teacher?"
danced with Lazlo Back · 17 years ago
More like Master... in the sense of, like, Sensei... someone who has reached the level of the field where they are qualified to teach and to be taken seriously... teacher is implied.
Not Master in the sense of vampire who tried to open the Hellmouth? That would be cooler.
A girl named Becca · 17 years ago
Actually that's a lie. I just wanted it to be a poll option.

I teach high school Spanish (and English, for the past 5 weeks) in rural NC. At the lowest-performing high school in the state, in fact. And I've officially signed on for another year (it will be my third). I haven't quite figured out why yet.
Perhaps you do it because it is an admirable thing to do. It isn't easy but somebody has to do it.
Guillermo · 17 years ago
I teach English as a foreign language in Argentina (where I'm from) and also some history and civics.
Does this poll result explain why Mike has made a career of playing in schools?
I think you may have a point.  Yet it doesn't explain Jian.  (Ok, when was Jian last mentioned on a Poll as a joke?  *Sigh*)
Talcott · 17 years ago
Ah, the exciting life of a TA

I teach two levels of Freshman Composition, one which is more writing, the other more reading. In the spring, I'll also get to teach the intro Creative Writing class.
Patrick Austin · 6 years, 1 month ago
Actually No, but technically Yes Because I'm a professional Phd Dissertation writer, I help students in writing their Phd Dissertation, these dissertation are plagiarism free and best in quality. So, after submitting these dissertation students get very good marks.
siena william · 5 years, 4 months ago
=10ptMy Assignment Services strives to meet the higher education standards of the university through the best quality assignments when you require assignment help. Assignments are written logically and all errors are corrected for a flawless finish in our assignment help service online. When you choose our online assignment help service, you need to think about the quality and your grades as well. On taking assignment help service online from us, you will never get a paper that we have written before or matches any other person's work. Every word in the assignment is written and content is composed of the resources that are collected as evidence in support of the argument. There is no risk of plagiarized content when you avail our online assignment help service. We guarantee the original content and flawless work. We guarantee the original content and flawless work. Professors of the reputed Australian universities consider assignments to be the most efficient method to assess a students’ writing caliber along with their understanding of the course. We My Assignment Help Australia can help you with your assignment. For all the students who are looking for help from professionals who can answer this question – who can do my assignment for me at cheap rates? we have the perfect answer. As for the reason asking this question, it can be said that asking such a question if right because of multiple reasons.  

You must first create an account to post.

©1999-2024 · Acceptable Use
Website for Creative Commons Music?