User Log On

About
Member Map
What's New?
Fruvous Dot Com
FHDC FAQ

Welcome, guest!
Create an account for a personalized experience,
or log on if you have one.

Indie Tape on EBAY

Discussion: Indie Tape on EBAY
frukid · 17 years, 1 month ago

There is an Indie Tape being auctioned off on Ebay. It'll be up for another 2 days. I can't believe someone would actually sell theirs!

sheryls Back · 17 years, 1 month ago

i sold mine on ebay.

when i moved out of my apartment i was prepared to shed my packratish ways. i had tons of stuff i knew other people would get more enjoyment from than i have. i had a sealed indie cassette i won at frucon...IV? V? can't remember. anyway, someone i knew won it - i wasnt interested in money, just more of putting it where it belonged. because it lived in a cabinet for all these years and i knew it would just move from place to place and be put in another box or cabinet.

Mark Back · 17 years, 1 month ago
yeah.. thanks Sheryl! :) It's still unopened, and it will probably remain that way. I'll keep it as a piece of folklore I guess.... how many can be still wrapped in plastic with 1992(?) air inside!
A.J. Back · 17 years, 1 month ago
I BOUGHT my indie tape on ebay.
Songbill Back · 17 years, 1 month ago
Me too.
derek harrison Back · 17 years, 1 month ago
what i'd like to see is their other early tape on ebay. the one with darlington darling, gulf war song (i think).. and... some other song. i forget what they call it.
Brian Dinsky Back · 17 years, 1 month ago

I asked Jian about that demo tape one year at FRFF, and he told me that there isn't really any name for it other than just 'a demo tape'.  It's got Gulf War Song, Darlington Darling, and Green Eggs and Ham.  Each song is a little bit different than their more commonly heard versions, most noticably Gulf War Song.  If I recall correctly, they decided to attack the song's key from a similar-yet-different angle.  I definately enjoy this demo-tape for what it's worth.  I recall a certain Mister R (at one point) mentioning the idea of posting these in a torrent via bargainville.org.  While at the time he was very curious as to where I got a copy, I doubt Jian would make a big stink about it these days.

derek harrison Back · 17 years, 1 month ago

speaking of which... is the bargainville tracker still up? cause for the past like month or more i haven't been able to access it.

and what do you you mean by... "they decided to attack the song's key from a similar-yet-different angle"

Brian Dinsky Back · 17 years, 1 month ago

to be honest, i'm not sure about the bargainville tracker, as I haven't used/thought about it in months.

regarding Gulf War Song, I just mean that they sing it a little bit differently without changing anything remotely vital to the song's composition, like the key in which it is sung.  mini-variation, basically.  also, this version of green eggs and ham is fairly unique, sounding like a genuine cross between Fruvous and what Fruvous apparently felt rap should sound like back in the early 90's.  darlington darling is more or less the same, with the exception of broken glass being used as a rhythmic device throughout the song.

derek harrison Back · 17 years, 1 month ago
sounds exciting. i wish that idea to torrent it had pulled through.
Dan Back · 16 years, 11 months ago
Will someone please explain to me exactly what an indie tape is?!
nate... Back · 16 years, 11 months ago
it was the cassette that fruvous released prior to bargainville.

before they were signed to a label (hence indie) ... .it was basically just sold at shows, etc.

Some of the song versions are different, etc.
Ilmater · 17 years, 1 month ago
Incidentally, there is another tape now on ebay, just waiting for that starting bid.
jen · 17 years, 1 month ago
i got mine YEARS ago, at a garage sale for a quarter :)
Bender Back · 17 years, 1 month ago
I got mine in a tape trade from Lori ;P
stealthlori Back · 16 years, 10 months ago
... i got mine for 25 Früstamps.
Ross My boss whom I love! · 16 years, 11 months ago
the auction was in alberta canada and i payed $17 USD for it plus $5.00 SH
Brian Dinsky · 16 years, 11 months ago

My Indie Tape is no such thing.  It's an Indie MP3 Folder.

Oh, great...  Now Jian is probably hunting me down.

I owned a cassette, which was destroyed by a crappy tape player.  Jerky tape player!

Flyrr Tarynn McDohl Back · 16 years, 11 months ago
This is why people hate tape decks these days. It's easier to fix a scratched CD than  munched and tangled audio cassette tape.
Kris 'engaged' Bedient Back · 16 years, 11 months ago
speaking of fixing a scratched CD, how does one go about that exactly? I've been told that you can take toothpaste and spread on a thin even layer, let it dry, and wipe off the excess, but I haven't ever tried it, so I don't know if it works.Any ideas?
dgodwin Back · 16 years, 11 months ago
when wiping it off, go from the center outward. Do not go around in circles. You can also use cd cleaner. I guess it's just like a mild abrasive that also fills in scratches. I haven't tried toothpaste
Misch Back · 16 years, 11 months ago
Some products like "CD Doctor" work reliably well. But you can only get a limited number of repairs onto a CD.
Phoenix Back · 16 years, 11 months ago
Try to rip it with EAC preferably in a good cd drive/burner with good reading capabilities (e. g. Plextor, Teac).

Or try something like Game Doctor (which actually works better for audio CDs than for data CDs).

In both cases burn a copy and say good-bye to the original disc.

You must first create an account to post.