Create an account for a personalized experience,
or log on if you have one.

Mike Ford: The Great Canadian Songbook

Discussion: Mike Ford: The Great Canadian Songbook
John J. Ryan · 21 years, 5 months ago

An excerpt from McGraw-Hill Ryerson�s new grade 12 textbook

�DEFINING CANADA: History, Identity & Culture�

Written by Mike Ford

What kind of popular music are you familiar with?  How much of that music is made by Canadian musicians?  Do you hear references to Canadian places, issues, events or personalities in their lyrics?  Do you think you should?  What happens to a country or region if the people living there only hear songs about other places?

Every culture in the world has its traditions of songs that describe that region�s particular characteristics and natural wonders, as well as the celebrations, challenges, work and shared dreams of its people.  Canada is no exception.  However, it is often difficult in the multi-channelled, commercially-hyped modern media for those songs of local relevance to find an airing.  Even so, bubbling just under the surface, the tradition thrives.  From Aboriginal drum-circle chants to the latest Urban Hip-Hop track, songs have been integral (if sometimes marginalized) reflection of the diverse cultures and identities of Canada.

The voyageurs of New France composed or adapted countless musical tales-songs that were as necessary to their work as their very paddles.  Songs of migration, settlement, and working of the land echo down to us through the years, imparting some of the emotional information important to us as we try to imagine their lives in contrast to our own.

�A bustle-confusion a wonderful hustle, they�re all jiggin� squid on the squid-jiggin� ground.�  Work songs of every kind sprung up from the saw-miles, fishing harbours and log-booms of the 19th century, often as locally unique variations of commonly-known melodies.  In each case, they were songs that helped inspire a sense of community, of belonging, and of pride in labour.

All through the latter colonial days and through Confederation, the world of politics was peppered with satirical songs, tuneful editorials, electioneering marches and heroic ballads.  Popular melodies from the rebellion of 1837 included the pro-Mackenzie satire I�ll Be A Tory � �I�ll drown Mackenzie�s types, I�ll cut�em into tripes, I�ll be a Tory in Upper Canada!� In Lower Canada, there was the mournful exile�s air, Un Canadien Errant � �Si tu vois mon pays, mon pays malheureaux, vas dis a mes amis que je me souviens d�eux�

The British sound and content of the many marches and heroic ballads connected to Canada�s World War experiences provide a telling insight into the nation�s new self-image in the first half of the twentieth century.  But songs were also used all through that century as a vehicle of expression for participants in numerous social movements.  Songs sung by Canadians seeking greater rights for women (Bread & Roses), workers and minorities (The Estevna Strike), movements concerned about nuclear weapons, environmental degradation (If A Tree Falls) and over-commericalization of Canadian society (American Woman) show how the popular song tradition has been mined to communicate urgent messages.

Some of Canada�s greatest examples of song reflecting or influencing popular identity are from Quebec�s Quiet Revolution.  The incredible changes that occurred in Quebec society between the late fifties and mid-seventies were constantly being chronicled, celebrated and inspired by creative artists, playwrights, painters, film-makers, poets, and above all, singer-songwriters � Les Chansoniers.  Felix Leclerc (for whom the modern-day Quebecois music awards are named), Robert Charlesbois, and Gilles Vigneault were the most famous of that era.  Vigneault�s Mon Pays, Gens du Pays and II Me Reste Un Pays most graphically demostrate the connection between singer and society.  These artists drew on and expanded French Canada�s immense folk-song tradition, and they, in turn, are followed today by groups and singers who have brought the concept of locally-relevant lyrics into the contemporary scene, such as Richard Desjardins, Les Colocs, Paul Piche.

The greater presence of American and British music on Canada�s English airwaves has left less room for songs of the above-mnetioned traditions, but that has perhaps made those who sing about us stand out even more.  From the 1960s on, huge audiences have been reached by the likes of Stompin� Tom Conners (The Good Old Hockey Game, The Blue Berets, Subbury Staurday Night), The Guess Who (Running Back to Saskatoon), Gordon Lightfoot (Canadian Railroad Trilogy, The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald), Stan Rogers (Barret�s Privateers), Bruce Cockburn (If I Had A Rocket Launcher), The Tragically Hip (bobcaygeon) and more recently Maestro (416-905), Choclair (T.Dot Anthem) and Great Big Sea (Rant & Roar).  IF one looks a little further, a huge wealth of modern material is waiting to be discovered.  There are hundreds of established and newer acs writing lyrics about who they are, what they see, and what needs changing in 21st century Canadian society.

Perhaps the greatest reflection and influence music can present in this multicultural nation is not in the lyrical content at all � it is in the countless Canadian artists who create music based on styles hailing from every corner of the globe � often sung in languages other that our two official ones.

When working with people in the creation of relevant and socially-directed usic, I always keep in mind an answer given to me by a Grade 5 student one day.  I was teaching a young class the Stompin� Tom song Bud The Spud, a rollicking tune about a guy who delivers truckloads of red P.E.I. potatoes to Toronto week after week.  I asked the class to imagine that as that very moment there was a truyck driver on the 401 doing exactly the same job described in the son.  �Imagine this driver turning on the radio as he drive and hearing Bud The Spud played on the radio.  How would that driver feel?�  A bashful 9-year-old stood up, cleared his throat, and after a short pause said, �He felt needed�>

Imagine that.  Songs that make us feel needed.  Songs that reflect our lives, communities, landscape, jobs, diverse heritages and dreams.  Who will sing your generation�s Canada into existence?  What would you celebrate in song?  What would you scream in anger about?  An eager nation awaits.

Mike Ford is a rollicking Canadian musician who brings Canadian history to life in Classrooms with his program, �Canada In Song�.

John J. Ryan · 21 years, 5 months ago

Article about Mike Ford�s CANADA IN SONG.GREAT CANADIAN SONGBOOK performances from THE GLOBE AND MAIL, Monday October 14th, 2002

One guitar all it takes to get kids grooving on Canadian history

Mike Ford of Moxy Fruvous delights with ditties about tax and railways, JOE FIORITO writes

Don�t know much about history?  Mike Ford, late of the hip-to-be-smart boy band Moxy Fruvous, is trying to topple one of the basic tenets of pop music.  History is his groove.

And he�s no slouch on geography, thanks to eight years of touring across Canada.

Bowmanville, Buttonville, Orangeville � he�s been everywhere, although he has not been there lately.  Fruvous is on hiatus and has been for the past two years.

Rather than sit idle and calculate his royalties, Ford figured out a way to combine his love of this country with a fervent, urgent need to sing � whiche he does merrily and cornily, loudly and joyfully in, of all places, schools.

On a recent Monday morning he hauled his guitar to Western Tech, there to spend a day entertaining the young scholars.  I don�t like Monday�s, either, but I tagged along.

After hunting up a keyboard from the school�s music room, tuning his guitar, and slapping a homemade collage of Canadian imagery on the face of his instrument,m Ford waited as a platoon of kids trooped in for the first lcass of the day.

During the playing of a neo-postdisco national anthem with a groovy drum track, some sleepy-eyed kids began grinning and digging each other in the ribs.  They hear the guy with the guitar humming happily, loudly, goofily.

Like, what�s up with that?

And then, when the announcements were over and before they quite knew what hit them, Ford launced into an a cappella white rapper�s rant about the ecological footprint, satellite analysis, gridlock paralysis and so on.

There are snickers.  Eyes roll.  Grins widen.  Ford is to rap as mayo is to barbecue sauce.  But it works.  He breaks the barrier.  His audience is no longer tugging at their percings or fiddling with their backpacks.  They are fully receptive.  As in, what will this guy do next?

He sings about Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad; about the settlement of the Prairies and the head tax on Chinese workers; about the Estevan coal miners� strike and the Quiet Revolution.  He knows what he�s doing.  He has boned up on the curriculum.  He sings about things the kids will study over the year.

He says he;s dropping bookmarks.  Later, when these subjects come up in history or geography, the kids will remember the guy with the guitar.  Like, that guy, he sang about that stuff.  The morning rolls along musically.

At one point, he notes that he�s been singing songs about Canada.  He says Celine and Alanis are well known around the world, but they don�t do that.

And he poses a rhetorical question:  Should they?  He provides an answer by noting that both Maestro and Choclair rap about this place and these times.

He also explains how music can be used as a way to stimulate debate with a song about the Oak Ridges Moraine.  He says they can rap about whatever is going on around them.  He asks about the big issues at Western Tech.

Somebody pipes up, �Dog poop on the football field.�  It seems some people walk their dogs on the gridiron and neglect to scoop.

That�s a serious issue.  I have a hunce it�s a problem on all the football fields in town.  Now there�s an idea.  A rap about crap � a slap at dogs who yap, a way to start a school-yard flap.  Forgive me.

My favourite of all Mike�s songs is about the Rebellion of 1837, with its chipper refrain, �Turn them oot, turn them oot!  The Tories get the boot!  We�ll rise against the Family Compact.  The Tories get the boot!�

I think it has a kind of unintentional resonance in the current climate of the province.  But maybe that�s just me.

The lunch bell rings, not a moment too soon.  Ford is an improviser, an energetic performer, and he�s looked peaked.  He�s brought snacks from home: crackers, goat cheddar, fruit and aslice of birthday cherry pie.  You will not find this info on the Moxy Fruvous Web site, but Ford never ever wanted cake, he always wanted mom to make him cherry pie.  He saved me a bite.  His mom is a dab hand with pie.

When classes resume, Ford sings an abbreviated Lightfoot ditty � �There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run.�  This may not mean much any more because these days the railroad runs even less than it used to.  Still, there was a time before the time, and that�s history for you.

Some of the kids at Western Tech are new to Canada; some need English-as-a-second-langugae classes; moxt jhave never heard of Moxy Fruvous.

Before the day began, many couldn�t tell the difference between the Oak Ridge Boys and the Oak Ridges Moraine.

They can now.

[email protected]

(Picture inset � With his band on hiatus, Mike Ford tours schools giving musical lessons.  He incorporates the students� curriculum into his songs.)

hkath Back · 21 years, 5 months ago

This guy needs to do his research. ;) We all know Fordy loves pie! It is too on the website! Right here!

:D

danced with Lazlo Back · 21 years, 5 months ago
*GOD* I wish I'd been at that show!!! *sigh*

Chicken Roti Boneless... hehehehehe

You must first create an account to post.

©1999-2024 · Acceptable Use
Website for Creative Commons Music?